Tuesday 5 March 2013


 

In The Begining

 
I have always wanted to take time out and restore an old car. The first attempt was with a huge Jaguar 420G limousine, the slightly blinged version of the MK10 however, I had nowhere to keep it at the time and there was far too much needed to be done and although I had done almost all the bright work I never got round to finishing and sold it on. Next project was a Daimler SP250 Dart which was basically a shot body on a broken chassis with some engine parts missing and no interior all for £2000. I bought a complete windscreen surround and radiator grille for a further £600 and set to work re-chroming but, alas, as with the Jaguar it never went any further even though it was in my garage. I managed to sell the car on for £2050, a slight profit and, sold the now refurbished radiator grille for £700 and the windscreen surround for £650 so came out ahead. Then several years ago while watching re-runs of shows like Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), The Champions and The Saint a car came on to the screen pulling up outside of a building and a lady got out that caught my eye. That, I told myself, is the car I want. After a while searching internet sources and books for reference I found out the car in question was a Triumph GT6. Now I can’t quite remember what one of the TV shows it was on but I am pretty sure it was The Saint and all I remember was that it was white but not what model it was. Next I started looking in the small ads and on the internet for Gt6’s for sale while researching what models there were, how many were made etc etc etc. I personally like the front end of the MK1’s for the lower bumper with the open fronted grille but prefer the styling of the MK2 and did not like the MK3 at all so, I made my mind up that I would purchase a MK2 and completely restore it from top to bottom and paint in old English white. At the beginning of 2013 a nice looking white 1968 MK2 was up for sale on EBay and after a few bids and a phone call the little beauty was in my possession. 
The GT6 as i first bought it

The GT6 as i first bought it

The GT6 as i first bought it

The smooth 2.0L six cylinder engine

 

GT6 history;

No comments:

Post a Comment